Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A Day of Sadness

I would like to say I am sorry to my regular readers for not posting before very late today.

I spent most of the day, with the exception of the trip referred to in the Gas Prices at home. As of about 8:30am this morning my little baby (This being a beautiful black long-furred cat) was no longer. He had been diagnosed about last October with Lymphoma which we had been treating him for. Then about mid-June he began having seizures. These seizures consisted of him starring at non-existent things that frightened him, he then would run around the house hissing and growling. A side effect of the fear was a loss of bowl and blatter control.

The seizure disorder is called Feline Hyperphasia. It is generally treated, we were told, with a medication that he was already taking for the Lymphoma. So we tried phenobarbitol, which is the next medication that is generally tried. His seizures continued to get worse over the last couple months dispite the increases in the med to control them. It reached a point where he was very drugged up and still having the seizures.

My wife and I discussed the situation, then compared notes with our Vet. The three of us decided that it was time for him to be 'put to sleep.' I must say that this was a very hard decision. He was only 11 years old, and was actually doing very well on his Chemo treatment for the Lymphoma. It just reached a point where we all felt he was suffering and it was in his best interest. I have been depressed about my little on all day. He was a very unique cat and I loved him very much. (My wife and I do not have children, and we treat our cats as though they are our children.)

Several things have gotten me through the day. One thing was sharing the complete day with my wife. Napping and doing other things together. Another thing that got me through the day was knowing that my baby was in a much better place and that he wouldn't suffer any more. Another thing that has gotten me through the day is reminising about all the silly and amazing things my baby did during our time together. And the final thing that has gotten me through the day: our other cat. She has spent the day with me, either cuddling me or curled up near me and paying me an uncommon amount of attention. I know my little baby loved me, how I know is a post for another day, but knowing I am loved by my other cat (not to mention my wife and our families) has really helped. Though it has been very hard to write this post, it to has helped. I will tell you more about the life of my baby, including his name, soon. But for now I feel a need to go back to my wife and my other baby. They need me and I need them.

I thank all of you for your patience with me on this. I hope you all understand my need to express myself on some of these very personal things, it has really helped me to feel a little bit better.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?