Friday, February 05, 2010

Flags and political protest

Looking back at the past, I have always found the burning of flags as a political protest a bit odd. I understand the symbolism, just never understood the reasoning for doing it in many of the domestic situations.

The new things seems to be flying the flag upside down in the symbol of distress. I understand the thinking, 'I disagree with the direction the country is going.' I suspect a lot of the people who are feeling this way, were supporters of GWB in all his glory, and don't like the fact that a non-Republican is in the White House.

When I was in college, there was a girl on campus, who was into the punk scene at the school, who war a military field jacket with the flag patch upside down. Even then I felt it was a stupid thing, apparently I haven't 'grown' on this issue.

I am not suggesting that what people are disgusted/angry/upset/worried about is bad. I think there are a lot of things to be worried about in this country, but I am not really sure that these types of protests are going to really accomplish.

I do know one thing, we won't see anyone advocating a Constitutional amendment outlawing flying your flag in that position.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?