Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cindy Sheehan and Newt Gingrich

I am posting the link to Ms. Sheehan's letter at the Daily Kos.

Though I will admit that I was not a 'huge' support of Ms. Sheehan, I also never felt any of the ridiculous attacks on her were proper. (My lack of support has nothing to do with politics, it has everything to do with not being a politically motivated as I probably should be/should have been.)

I am sadden that this country has become so unhealthy, so unlike what it was intended to be by our Founding Fathers. It seems that many of us, and I have moments of being guilty of this as well, are so wrapped up in our ideology that we are incapable of tolerating the view of others who have a different perspective. Why? I think we have become very comfortable in our 'freedom' that we feel the need to take that freedom from anyone who disagrees with our point of view. More specifically, it seems that the Republican talking heads believe if you don't agree with the President than your not Patriotic. Why? Is this administration so strained to support it's ideas that any thing that defending them against a different viewpoint is not possible. If that is the case, then perhaps it is time that we examine what 'Freedom of Speech really means. I have posted previously the 'rant' from near the end of Aaron Sorkin's 'The American President.' I am not going to quote it but directly but it deals with Freedom of speech being the toleration of someone who is yelling at the top of their lungs that which we find repugnant, and yelling at the top of our lungs why we feel they are wrong. (I don't believe that includes call the person on the other side an attention whore.)

I have attacked the Republican talking heads hear, Ms. Sheehan mentions in the herein attached link that the blogs on the left began to attach her when she began to speak out about the Democratic members of Congress that weren't doing their jobs, that weren't actively seeking to end the situation in Iraq in a timely matter. To those people who did attack Ms. Sheehan who claim to be either Democrats or Progressives (or what ever they want to call themselves on the left) YOU are as much at fault for your behavior as those who attached Ms. Sheehan on the right. Go look in the mirror and see what is looking back, it isn't what you have thought all along.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/5/28/12530/1525

On the other side of the coin, Newt Gingrich is attacking the Republicans and the Congressional leadership. From at least one thing I read today on the subject this is partially a response by Newt to things he disagrees with. I am not sure that what this isn't in reality is a cynical, politically motivated attempt to distance himself from the Old Republican Guard in the anticipation of running for President. (I am beginning to believe Newt may be the only Republican who wasn't left behind as a child, he can read polls and understand them. AMAZING.)

Oh well, time to go. Work day is almost over and I will be heading to the home front shortly.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?