Wednesday, April 18, 2007

VA Tech Some thoughts

I have been following the spree killings at Virginia Tech with only marginaly interest. It isn't that I don't think the story is interesting, but I am rather put off by the 'wall-to-wall' coverage of the cable news industry. I do believe that it is an important story, but I can only take the repetitions of the exact same information so many times.

I have heard several interviews with some of the students who survived the classroom attacks. These have been both very chilling to me as well as very riveting. I wish I had some insight in to the situation and how to deal with the situation. I don't, and I can't imagine what the Virginia Tech community is going through at this moment.

I find that the information that is coming out on the young man who killed the 32 other people to be very interesting. The fact that he had mental health issues isn't really surprising, but for the first time that I can remember the news channels, (I have watched CNN for the most part) are actually delving into the mental health issues surrounding this situation. As someone who is on a medication for Depression and whose wife has been diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety/Panic Disorder and had multiple hospitalizations in the nearly 13 years we have been married this is a relief. It seems that many times in these situations that the mental health issues are a post-script used as the 'cause' of what ever caused the killer to spiral out of control. It seems in this situation, that a deeper explination of this young man's problems is being discussed.

I find it rather had to believe that these kinds of things continue to happen in this country. I have read a trilogy that had a point of discussion which seems to fit these situations. I wonder if to some extent these spree killings are a symptom of a much deeper problem societial problem. That these kinds of spree killings aren't just a way for a specific level of societal anxiety or societal pressures to be released at a regular interval.

Finally, I wish to once again express my deep sadness and sympathy for those whose families have been affected directly or otherwise by this tragic situation.

May HaShem look after the families and the souls of those who have died, and may the memories of those who have died be nothing but a blessing on those who knew them.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?