Saturday, December 30, 2006

Saddam is Dead, Is This Truly a Big Deal?

My mother called on Friday evening to inform me that Saddam had been executed. (She also asked if I was joyful about this, which seems to be an odd question.)

I have several thoughts on this:
  1. I really thought Saddam should have been killed when he was located in his hole-in-the-ground, hide-a-way. The fact that he wasn't was entirely politically motivated on the part of the US. After all we had to capture someone, and we don't seem to be able to capture Osama Bin Laden. (Well unless you believe that there is a conspiracy that is allowing him to live.)
  2. I truly can't believe that there are many people in this country that feel this is a major event. I certainly don't believe that it is worthy of the time that was devoted to it on CNN while I was watching. (Either before the execution, or after.)( I didn't watch any of the other networks on Friday to see how much coverage was being given to it.)
  3. I don't understand why my mother thought I would be joyful about the execution. I am glad he is no longer in power. I really don't care how he died.
  4. I don't really think the execution really accomplishes anything at this time. The ordinary citizen of Iraq is to busy staying out of the way of the violent boneheads running around killing innocent people to worry about this. I really think it would have accomplished more if he had been killed per item 1.

If Saddam's execution really changes anything in Iraq, it may be that the Baathist members of the 'insurgency' are going to be reinvigorated. They just had their leader, even if it was nominally at this point, executed and they are not likely to be very happy about it.

Well hopefully I am wrong on this, but I doubt it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?