Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ports, They Are Doing WHAT?

When I first heard about the transfering of the port operations control for 6 of the largest East Coast ports to the UAE's owned company upon the sale of the British I was upset.  After all this idea seemed a little  out of step with the whole 'War on Terror' thing that this administration has been babbling about for something rapidly approaching 5 years.
 
But the 'emotional' content of my reaction quickly wore off.  I am finding that I am having a hard time being as truly outraged by this as I think I should be.  When I began to think about that I realized that I am being Bush-ized.  This ridiculous administration does so many outrageous things that I am running out of outrage.  It isn't that I don't think that there is a problem, and I will discuss that in a moment, it's just that I just can't get that excited by this Administration's continued stupidity.  I keep thinking that there is no way the Administration can care as little about people and what is going on around it as they do and then they come up with something else that makes no sense.  I almost think that the Administration is trying to loose both houses of Congress to the Democrat's, except they are proving to be so politically inept, that they may find a way to still loose both houses of Congress.  (Yes, I am still very annoyed with the Democratic leadership over the Paul Hackett situation.  Frankly, I wouldn't vote for Sherrod Brown, except that would be an advantage for Mike Dewine who I really dislike, Sherrod I am just moderately angry with.)
 
One final thing and then I will get to my real issue with the port situation.  Wife was not feeling well this week, and she was calling me on Monday, when the media seemed to discover that there were things going on in the world that didn't involve a VP of the US shooting a man in the face with bird shot, to tell me that she didn't think she was going to go to work.  She called about 10 minutes later in a completely outraged as she saw the news story about the port 'transition.'   Now Wife is a Republican, not a NeoCon, but a 'traditional' Republican.  Wife became very upset with 'her party' and 'her President' back with the whole Teri Shiavo fiasco.  She has become very disenchanted with Unitary Executive King George III.  I actually found the discussion rather interesting, because it is usually me who is outraged about something political and Wife who just seems to think that I have gone off the deep end.  I just fill her in on occasion about things that I hear on the story now and her outrage just continues.  (I really need to get that out there, I think it really shows where this Administration has really gone out of wack.)
 
The final thing is my real thoughts on this situation.  First of all, I really don't like the idea of the UAE controlling anything in this country.  I find the idea of letting a country that was part of the financial network of the 9/11 hijackers and also the home country of 2 of them to be a rather strange idea in the 'post 9/11 world.'  It was less than a year ago that Karl 'Turd Blossum' Rove was pontificating on how the liberals were stuck in a pre-9/11 mindset and all the other stuff he was blithering about.  This whole deal seems to be a 'pre-9/11' mindset idea.  But not because of anything that I mentioned above, but because I really don't like the idea of ANY foreign country controlling US port operations.  I didn't know that they were controlled by a British company, but frankly I don't like that all that well either.  (No I don't have anything against the Brits.)  I don't think that anyone in this country would be comfortable with the idea of turning border guard security over to any other country and that is exactly what we are proposing here.  Turning a portion of our border control over to a company that is owned by a foreign government.  That just rubs me the wrong way.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?