Monday, October 17, 2005

A Lighted Hearted Approach

I decided to have a change of pace today with Sukkot just a few hours away. I have been looking around for something a little different to deal with today, and I think I have found what I am looking for. On The Swift Report they have an article about pet abstinence training as opposed to getting you pet 'fixed.'

My feelings on this practice are mixed. After all we don't need additional unintended pet pregnancies in the world, but I am not sure that abstinence only training for pets is going to be effective. The article discusses on couples striving to find an organization that supported their abstinence for pets philosophy. The seem to have found the organization that they were looking for in People for the Traditional Treatment of Animals (PTTA). It seems that PTTA has been around for about 5 years and serving a growing need in the conservative leaning communities around the country. This organization extends the Bush adgenda of abstinence education from children to pets.

I think we can all agree that unwanted pregnancies, whether human or pet, can be very disrupting to the parents lives. I strongly feel that it is important for us to consider this as an alternative to 'fixing' our pets and the inherent emotional problems that it will cause for our pets. And as we all know from reading Heshy's House that real Jews do not 'fix' their pets.

Hopefully we can successful all train our pets to move beyond the instinct and hormone/phermone driven behaviors that they generally engage in. After all the abstinence education initiative has been exceedingly successful with the youth in our country.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?