Tuesday, September 06, 2005

New Orleans

I haven't really said much about the aftermath of Katrina here. I, as I stated on Friday, a bit overwhealmed by the whole thing and I am having a hard time getting my mind around the magnetude of the tragedy.

I was much releaved to return home last evening to see that they had finally began to pump water out of the city and had the 17th Street Levee breach filled at least temporarily. I have heard today that the water in the city contains E. Coli in it. I know that many animals and more people will yet die from this situation, but I am relieved to see the situation is improving.

I do have something to say about the looting that is going on. I really do not see a problem with the looting for basic survival items. (Food, clothing, etc.) I do have a problem with the looting of other items. I have seen people pushing a hugh industrial grill down the street. People running out of stores with a large amount of electronic items and other things. When it comes to this kind of thing I am just very frustrated. There is really no reason to take non-survival related items.

I also feel bad for the people who were unable for what ever reason to get away from the disaster areas. (Though I am having trouble feeling sympathetic for the people who were capable of leaving the city and for what ever reason didn't.)

I am really unsure where to go from here. I feel the need to say more, but I don't know what to say.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?