Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A Different Response

I have not seen much on this organization before and if you have information about them that isn't in this article I would ask that you give me some clues.

Ta’ayush, an Arabic word that means “life in common” according to the attached article, has established what they call non-violent methods of 'combating the occupation.' They have been establishing relationships with Palestinian villages and working to help these villages to get items that they need. This organization came into existence after the beginning of the second Intifada in September 2000. From reading the article I have several problems, but I like the idea of 'non-violent' methods of resistence.

The first thing about this article that concerns me is when it discuss the members of the organization the first thing I notice is that all of the members of the organization are Israeli, either being Jews or Arabs. This concerns me because despite the establishment of various ties with Palestinian villages, they are not listing any non-Israeli Arabs amoung the membership.

Another thing that bothers me is the mention of a number of incidents that I question. To make this clear, I am not saying they didn't happen, but as I do not know anything, at this time, about this organization and its veracity I question whether the incidents may not be exaggerated at best or made up entirely at worst. Examples is the idea of Palestinians living in caves south of Hebron. One of the reasons I question this is that this sounds like Palestinian propagada that is constantly accusing the Israeli's of any and all crimes they can think of. (I keep thinking back to the accusations of a massacure in Jenin several years ago, as far as I know they still do not official acknowledge that it never happened and have helped finance movies such as Jenin, Jenin to support the claim.) Another is the accusation that 'Settlers' are going around randomly kill Palestinians in order to 'continue' to control and take the land. This again bothers me, because again it sound more like Palestinian propaganda than reality.

I would not be terribly surprised to find out that the poisoning of the sheep is true. Not because I necessarily think it is, but because I find the idea less unrealistic. The other thing that struck me as true, and I am fairly sure is, is that security fence (wall in the language of the organization and others) in causing hardship on the Palestinians. My only response to this is that we can see what the Palestinian response is to 'freedom,' running back and forth across the border with Egypt and importing weapons.

This is the type of article that cause problems in the long run. Why? Well there is quite a lot of potentially inflamatory information in it that I have not seen substantiated else where, and it is the type of information that can lead people who only have one source of information to believe it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?