Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Bush Takes Responsibility

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government," Bush said. "And to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility. I want to know what went right and what went wrong," he added.

Bush Story


I do not consider my self a Bush Basher, but neither do I consider myself a 'Bushie' either. I did not vote for Bush in the first election, I did vote for him in the second election, mostly because I did not feel comfortable with John Kerry.

Okay, I got that out of the way. This 'appology' bothers me on several levels.
1. It has all the appearance of a political move, he was under a lot of fire from both Democrats and Republicans for the preformance of FEMA.
2. It has a hollow ring to it in the wake of Michael Brown's resignation. (Which Bush claimed to have no knowledge of 48+ hours after Mr. Brown told Bush's Chief of Staff Andrew Card he was planning to do.)
3. The appology, with all the right-wing talking heads going on and on about the failures of the Governor and Mayor, seems to be more about boosting poll numbers than taking the blame for his administrations failures when they have done everything in their ability to blame everyone else.

Do I think Bush lied? NO.

I do think that he felt that this was a small sacrifice to the gods of Political Practicality, than a genuine heartfelt "I'M SORRY." The reason I believe this is that this kind of reaction to a situation is so out-of-charicter for this administration.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?